Home | About JCVJS | Editorial board | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions | Subscribe | Advertise | Contact us |   Login 
Journal of Craniovertebral Junction and Spine
Search Articles   
    
Advanced search   
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 114-120

Ozone disc nucleolysis in cervical intervertebral disc herniation: A nonrandomized prospective analysis in 246 patients


1 Division of Interventional Radiology, Department Of Radiology and Imaging, Grant Government Medical College and Sir JJ Group of Hospitals; Department of Interventional Neuroradiology, Bombay Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
2 Department of Orthopedic, Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
3 Department Neurology, Bombay Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 Department of Neurosurgery, Saifee Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
5 Department of Neurosurgery, Global Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
6 Department of Interventional Neuroradiology, Bombay Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Sharad Balasaheb Ghatge
Flat No. 19, Swastik Building No. 4, Sir JJ Hospital Campus, Sir JJ Raod, Byculla, Mumbai - 400 008, Maharashtra
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jcvjs.jcvjs_46_22

Rights and Permissions

Background: Inherent complications associated with surgery and limited success of percutaneous minimally invasive procedures make researches wanting for an ideal treatment for cervical disc herniation. Objective: We prospectively study the role of ozone disc nucleolysis in cervical intervertebral disc herniation. Patients and Methods: From January 2008 to December 2020, we prospectively study 246 consecutive patients of cervical disc herniation treated by a single session of intradiscal injection of ozone–oxygen mixture (ozone disc nucleolysis). There were 55% of females and 45% of males. Age ranged from 28 to 68 years with a mean of 47. The outcome was measured on visual analog scale (VAS) scale and neck disability index (NDI) along with Mcnab method. Results: The mean baseline VAS score was 7.87 which became 3.09 at 1 month, 1.42 at 3 months, 1.40 at 6 months, and 1.35 at 1 year. The mean NDI was 36.27 at baseline which improved to 9.24 at 1 month, 6.25 at 3 months, 6.20 at 6 months, and 6.22 at 1 year. This was found to be significant with P < 0.05. Modified McNab criterion showed excellent recovery in 138 (56.10%), good recovery in 50 (20.32%), and fair recovery in 22 (8.94%), resulting in a successful rate of 85.36%. Mediocre recovery was seen in the remaining 36 patients amounting to a 14.64% failure rate. Conclusion: This study showed that ozone disc nucleolysis significantly reduces the pain related to cervical disc herniation along with a significant reduction in disability.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed168    
    Printed10    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded24    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal